Sardinia Things to do Travel Guide
Sardinia offers an abundance of activities, sightseeing, and dining delights. In Cagliari, the capital of Sardinia on the island’s southern coast, ascending behind Via Roma and culminating in the antiquated majesty of the Castello quarter, there is much to make your trip rewarding. The city was founded in the 9th century by the Phoenicians and at present provides plenty of engaging things to do, see, and in which to take part. Visit museums, enjoy popular shopping, or explore the medieval hilltop castle. Enjoy open-air dancing, good music, and the Roman amphitheater.
You can also go shopping in the biggest market in Italy, the Mercato Civico di San Benedetto. While there, discover a wide variety of extraordinary items, such as the daily fresh catch from the local fishermen, in addition to refreshing and crisp vegetables and fruit, area meats, and delicious cheeses. Local cuisine can be found in small family owned restaurants as well as in the luxury hotels. The menu changes from place to place and area to area, so there is always something fascinating and tasty to challenge even the most discerning palettes.
For the tourist who enjoys adventures in the great outdoors, there are all of the typical pleasures to be had on world-class beaches, as well as hiking, biking, and rock climbing. Tour ancient ruins and marvel at the Nuraghi stone dwellings from the bronze age found nowhere else on earth.
Festival & Events
Depending on the time of year or location there is seemingly an endless number of colorful festivals and events that reflect the local culture and religion. This is an opportunity to enjoy local music, colorful costumes, and partake in delicious foods of the area.
• Alghero Scala Piccada – This is the popular time trial car race that takes place at the end of October. For over 50 years this race has delighted race car fans and tourists alike. It is one of the oldest and most important tracks in Italy, featuring some of the fastest cars and most well-known drivers. It covers a majestic 5-kilometer route from Alghero to Villanova Monteleone. It offers all the thrill and excitement of Italian racing at its finest.
• Autunno – This is a favorite event in which 32 villages including Oliena, Dorgali, Bitti, and Fonni open their doors
to travelers who are eager to experience the background, heritage, and customs of the Sardinia and its people.
• Time in Jazz - Berchidda along with neighboring villages hosts a significant Jazz festival in Sardinia, considered an essential musical event throughout Italy. Quite a few distinctive visitors generally take part, including the likes of Andy Sheppard, the Chicago Art Ensemble, Markus Stockhausen, and more.
• San Giovanni Battista - The festival of St. John, the Baptist, commemorates the summer solstice each year during the month of August in Alghero. Held on San Giovanni Beach, the festival celebrates the ties of companionship with ritual fires. Close friends are encouraged to cement their relationship by jumping over the fire that burns on the beach while dressed all in white attire.
• Sagra di Sant Efisio - Sardinia’s most famous Christian festival can trace its origins to the 17th century. It is celebrated each May 1st. Thousands of citizens of Caligari dress in old-fashioned garb and take part in a forty-kilometer-long pilgrimage in praise of St. Efisio. The festival is an extraordinary experience for anyone regardless of religious beliefs and one not to be missed.
• New Year’s Eve in Alghero - An assortment of live musicians and other artists perform live, in many of the piazzas in the Old Town, ending with a magnificent display of fireworks over the harbor. It indeed is an exciting evening, with bistros at capacity and the majority of nightclubs and bars often open until 6 am the following day!
When one thinks of island getaways, one naturally envisions sandy beaches and crystalline seas. Sardinia has no shortage of either. Porto Ferro, found in the northern region of Sardinia, is commonly regarded among the world’s ideal beaches. The one-mile-plus expanse of orange-colored beach is the result of a blend of the area’s native limestone, powdered shells as well as other volcanic accumulation. This area of the island appeals to tourists of all types and ages. It is also known for hiking and biking, and three Spanish watchtowers dating to the 17th century. The bright blue ocean is perfect for body boarding, surfing, windsurfing, boating and swimming. You’ll discover an abundance of various other charming beaches as well, among them Cala Gonone, Li Coggi beach, and the Costa Smeralda.
Shooping in Sardinia
Shopping is fun no matter where you are, but when it is in an exotic locale, there is something special about the activity. Everyday items, luxury goods, designer clothing, beautiful jewelry and interesting local items are available in high-end stores, malls, and markets across the island. In Largo Carlo Felice shop for designer clothes and accessories at the famous Italian department store La Rinascente. In Porto Cervo, you will discover the most well-known brands the fashion world has to offer. Along the small quaint streets that open onto delightful squares, you will find merchandise from the likes of Versace, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Pucci and Prada, among others.
Only in Sardinia
A Sardinian holiday offers genuinely remarkable experiences. There are stunning beaches and ancient ruins. There is cuisine like no other. The festivals and celebrations are too many to count. You can kayak, hike, bike, and boat.
Explore grottoes and caverns such as the Caves of Neptune. Snorkel or scuba dive in some of the most transparent water and see some of the most beautiful fish in the sea. Dig deep into Roman and Phoenician history in the little town of Nora and visit the nearby Spanish Tower. Cala Mariolu is among the most breathtaking seashores on the island. With crystal-clear seas and unusual pink stones decorating the shore, this beach is both unique and fabulous.
Sardinia will undoubtedly create an indelible stamp on anyone's holiday getaway.
Tommaso,Thank you and your team for everything. We had a wonderful trip. I can't tell you have terrific everyone was - Damiano, Simone, Raph
The room we got with your help ,was all we could ask for There is no way we were going to get the room we did if we had tried to book it our