For travelers seeking to discover the authentic flavors of Italy's cuisine, the Umbria region of central Italy is certainly worth a visit. During this 4 day independent travel package, your home base will be the town of Norcia, famous worldwide for its unique culinary contributions including black truffles and the nation’s best pork products. As you explore this enchanting area you will have the opportunity to learn about local olive oil and wine production, sample olive oils and wines, enjoy a cooking class featuring staples of the local cuisine and embark on an unforgettable truffle hunt in the woods surrounding Norcia. With lush green landscapes and charming hilltop villages, the Umbria region is a breathtaking destination and the perfect place to learn about some of the unique processes and flavors of Italian cuisine.
Day 1: UMBRIA REGION, NORCIA
Arrival at your hotel in Norcia in the heart of the Umbria region. After check-in, there will be time to relax at Palazzo Seneca's spa, with complimentary use of the Jacuzzi pool, Turkish bath and steam room. Welcome dinner at a traditional restaurant in Norcia that has been in business since 1850 where you will taste the real flavors of the local cuisine. Overnight stay at your hotel accommodation.
Day 2: NORCIA, MONTEFALCO, WINERY VISIT WITH TASTING, OIL MILL VISIT WITH TASTING, COOKING CLASS
Breakfast at the hotel and departure for the small, quaint hamlet of Montefalco. In the morning you will visit a historical wine estate that produces the delicious Sagrantino di Montefalco red wine and where you will enjoy a tasting of 3 local wines. Later in the morning, you will continue with a visit to a local olive oil mill where an overview of the oil-making process will be provided, followed by a light lunch of local products paired with the mill's oil. Return to Norcia in the afternoon to start your cooking class at Casa Bianconi, one of Norcia's historic buildings, where you will learn the secrets of the local cuisine during a hands-on cooking class and then taste your creations for dinner. Afterwards, return to your hotel accommodation for a good night's rest.
Day 3: NORCIA, TRUFFLE HUNTING (or CHEESE MAKING SCHOOL)
Enjoy a refreshing breakfast at the hotel. This morning you will have the chance to experience "truffle hunting" in the wild and breathtaking nature surrounding Norcia. You will reach the area of your adventure by minivan and then meet an expert "truffle hunter" and his devoted dog, who will guide you on a fun search for the black truffle of Norcia (please note that this unique experience won't be possible in May or September: during these 2 months the truffle hunting will be substituted by a visit to a cheese making school and a local factory that produces cured meats). On this day lunch will be on your own. In the afternoon, we recommend spending time in the beautiful town of Norcia. As you stroll along the main road you will be accompanied by the delicious smell of cheese and salumi coming from the many gourmet shops all around town. It is interesting to note that Norcia’s culinary influence is so substantial that the town has lent its name to the Italian word “norcineria”, which refers to a butcher shop that deals exclusively with pork. If you wish, you will be able to visit the ancient artisan chocolate factory Cioccolateria Vetusta Nursia. In the evening, enjoy a farewell dinner at Palazzo Seneca's elegant and unique restaurant followed by the last overnight stay at your hotel accommodation.
Day 4: UMBRIA REGION
After breakfast, check out from the hotel and end of our services.
PACKAGE START AT $906.00 INCLUDES:
- 3 nights accommodation in 3 Star or 4 Star Hotel in Norcia or similar;
- Daily breakfast; - Welcome Dinner at a typical and historical restaurant in Norcia,
- 1 cooking classes with dinner to follow;
- Truffle hunting as per program (or cheese making class in May and September); - Guided visit and tasting light lunch in a olive oil mill in Montefalco;
- Farewell dinner at an elegant restaurant in Norcia;
- Complimentary use of of the Spa Jacuzzi pool, sauna and Turkish bath at Hotel Seneca;
- Complimentary entrance at the Norcia Sport Center (swimming pools and other sport facilities);
- 4 days of Car Rental Class B or Similar Fully Inclusive Coverage included.
- Vat Taxes and service Charges.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- All Land & Air prices: Additional U.S. & Foreign Departure Taxes and Surcharges Fee(s) assessed by the Airlines.
- Hospitality city tax which varies by city and hotel category. Where applicable it must be paid locally to the hotel.
- Transportation, Entrance Fees to Monuments or Museums, Tips, Extras.
- Beverages during meals.
- All which is not listed under “PACKAGE INCLUDES”.
Fly and Drive independent tour package. Available all year around on request. Minimum number of participants: 2 people.
(*) Rate based on two adult persons sharing a double or twin bedded room with private bathroom. Single rooms are available at an additional supplement. Children’s, triple room rates and alternative accommodation arrangements are available upon request. (Additional and different charges may apply).